Monday, August 20, 2007
why they did not return to Poland 1945
This is the website for an oral history project where Polish Displaced Persons and ex-Servicemen and Women from all over the world tell their stories.
From recorded interviews we learn:
* why they did not return to Poland after the cessation of hostilities in 1945;
* where, and how, they lived in the immediate post-war years;
* how they re-established contact with their families and friends in Poland;
* the impact of Government censorship on their communications;
* what economic support they provided to their families in Poland.
The recordings of interviews will be deposited in archives in England, Poland and the USA. However, the creation of an interview database will make the words of these Poles accessible electronically worldwide.
If you would like to record your history, or know of someone who should be asked, please contact me. Interviews are conducted in person or by telephone, in English or Polish.
Bogusia Wojciechowska, PhD
Affiliated Researcher, Immigration History Research Center, University of Minnesota, USA
This research is supported in part by the Polonia Aid Foundation Trust, London, England